Presenting: Find My Content

My main project is a multi website solution where 16 different websites is sharing the same source code.

Sometimes when we need to change specific Content Type and find a strategy on how to migrate the changes it’s good to know how much that Content Type is used, and in what way.

How do you do that?

A way to to find how much it is used is to perform a simple SQL Query:

SELECT c.pkID FROM tblContent c
INNER JOIN tblContentType ct ON c.fkContentTypeID = ct.pkID
WHERE ... = '...' -- various ways to identify your Content Type using pkID, ContentTypeGUID or Name

And go to Episerver Edit Mode to see how the editor has worked with each content.

But to be able to run the SQL query, you will need to have access to the production database which makes things a little more annoying. Specially if you need to use VPN connections or similar.

Therefore I have created an Admin Tool called “Find My Content” where you easily can find all content based on their Content Types.

Listing all Content Types

findmycontent.PNG

Here you see how many items of this Content Type is created by clicking the Name.

Details of a Content Type

findmycontent standardpage.PNG

In the details you can see all Content of this Content Type and which language they are created in. There is also a shortcut that will take you to Edit mode for that specific Content.

How do I get it?

I’m waiting for a NuGet package to be published on Episerver’s NuGet feed. Otherwise you can find the code on my GitHub.

Update: It is now available in the feed: https://nuget.episerver.com/en/OtherPages/Package/?packageId=Toders.FindMyContent

What’s next?

This was just something I threw together since I got tired connecting to my client’s environments using VPN and Remote Desktop.

I’ve got some ideas to add references between the different content, filtering on values for specific properties and so on.

Do you have any other ideas that would be nice to have in this tool? Just give me a shout in the comments below.

9 thoughts on “Presenting: Find My Content

1. This plugin will come in handy. What about display the number of published and not published content elements (pages and blocks)? Then inside each spesific contenttype display the published status for each instance.

2. It is in the feed now

3. Thanks Alf for sharing this!

What about joining forces and merge both together?
    https://github.com/dnasir/EPi.ContentTypeTools

4. Very nice tool, but I could not quite figure out how to use it. After installing from the Nuget feed, I do not see any new links in the admin view. After peeking at the code, I found that I could access it via /FindMyContent, but then the “details”-links did not work, as they were pointing to /Details/. Am I doing something wrong?

Leave a reply to Wałdis Iljuczonok (@tech_fellow) Cancel reply